It’s another election year here in the U.S. and it seems we’re once again stuck with voting for the best of the worst or whomever stays standing or has enough cash to keep advertising and talking. So, I thought I’d put together a list of fictional (TV/big screen) presidents whom I would vote for, if they existed.
Now, this isn’t a political party list and there is no scientific, political or moral basis for this list. There are democrats, republicans, independents and who knows what else in this list. Why would I vote for them? They are (fictional) strong leaders, spoke their minds, stood up for their convictions, kicked some serious butt and essentially didn’t really have to worry if they were not going to get re-elected because that’s how the scripts were written. Could you imagine politicians without politics? Well, me neither but these are as good as it gets. Who would you include?
10. Danny Glover, President Thomas Wilson – 2012 (2009)
9. Bruce Greenwood, The President – National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)
8. John Goodman, Acting President Glen Allen Walken – The West Wing (NBC) (2003)
7. Harrison Ford, President James Marshall –Air Force One (1997)
6. Ben Kingsley, President Gary Nance – Dave (1993)
5. William Devane, President Henry Hayes – Stargate SG-1 (2004)
4. Kevin Kline, President William Harrison Mitchell – Dave (1993)
3. Bill Pullman, President Thomas J. Whitmore – Independence Day (1996)
2. Michael Douglas, President Andrew Shepherd – The American President (1995) (I’ve mentioned him before – American, fast becoming the land of mediocrity)
1. Martin Sheen, President Josiah Bartlet – The West Wing (NBC) (1999-2006)
An honorable mention goes out to Glenn Close, Vice President Kathryn Bennett – Air Force One (1997)
Did I miss anyone?